This recipe is one I got at a meeting where people were bringing high protein, low carb dishes for others to try. I have made is a couple of times now and tweaked to our taste. It is pretty flexible since you can use whatever different beans you have on hand, as you can see since this time I didn’t have kidney beans or black-eyed peas. I discovered after I decided to make this last night that I was missing bell peppers and it would have been better with them.
Mike really likes is since he is a balsamic vinegar and cilantro fan. I like it and the triplets usually eat at least half of what I put on their plate. Emma eats all of hers because she is a big balsamic vinegar fan also.
The recipe uses canned beans, but if you want to take the time, you could start with dried beans and soak and cook them yourself. If you used canned beans, try to find ones without lots of additives and if the can lining is BPA-free, even better.
Bean Medley Salad
- 1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans
- 1 15-oz. can black beans
- 1 15-oz. can red kidney beans (I used pinto beans)
- 1 15-oz. can black-eyed peas (I used cannellini beans)
Drain and rinse beans well and place in large bowl. Chop up very finely the following and add to beans:
- ¼ each green, yellow, and orange bell pepper (I didn’t have peppers, so I substituted 3 chopped mini-cucumbers)
- ¼ to 1/2 Vidalia onion
- Cilantro to taste (about 1/3 to 1/2 cup, finely chopped)
- Garlic to taste (2-3 cloves, finely chopped)
- 10 to 15 grape tomatoes, halved (or chop up one regular tomato)
Combine all ingredients together and then add:
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Emma was my kitchen helper for making this and she says “It’s good!”